This time on our Fantastical Truth podcast, we’re taking up another big theme: the challenges of “mature” fantasy action drama stories like The Witcher.
This fantasy drama arrived on Netflix just before Christmas 2019.
It’s the latest of several fantasy TV series which seem to be following in the footsteps of Game of Thrones.
Neither cohost (E. Stephen Burnett and Zackary Russell) has seen the show. So Stephen speaks with someone who has: Jason Morehead.
- Jason Morehead wrote the article “Giving Up On the Witcher.”
- Subtitle: The series’ gratuitous sex and nudity reveals a certain lack of faith and imagination.
- He’s reviewed movies, music, anime and beyond for decades, now at OpusZine.us.
- We shared the article at Lorehaven’s FB page in January and it started quite a discussion.
Jason says: “I simply don’t like trashing stuff. I always try to find a few good things about whatever I review…I’d much rather write about stuff I love, than trash stuff I hate.”
Still, there’s plenty to challenge about Netflix’s latest grim fantasy world. . . .
After a break next week, we’ll explore the question: How did you first discover fantastical stories?
We’ve already read great stories from SpecFaith readers and podcast listeners alike.
Yet if we haven’t heard yours yet, please share your story here!
- How old were you?
- How did you find the story?
- What did you love about it?
- What ideas really spoke to you?
- Which characters draw you in?
- What did you love about the world?
- How do you feel about that story now?
You can use this page’s comment section. Or use the form here to send your note straight to the Fantastical Truth mailbag.
Off to resume planning this year’s events, and maybe even write some fiction(!),