Lorehaven magazine issue 1 launches this spring.
We’ve reviewed fourteen great novels, written articles, hosted the hot-topic Roundtable, primed website upgrades, and started the flagship Book Club (which you can join here).
But we need your help—and not only by subscribing by email so you can read issue 1 early.
Here’s how you can pray for the mission and team members of Lorehaven magazine!
- Pray that we will glorify God by enjoying him in this work, and guide readers to do the same through their exploration of Christian-made, fantastical-genre novels.
- Pray that we will serve Jesus’s church by finding fantastic stories for even more fans.
- Pray that we will enjoy our diverse differences—men and women, denominations, secondary doctrinal beliefs, ethnicities, personalities, favorite genres, life stories. Pray we will unite in shared love for Jesus and proclamation of his gospel in all we do.
- Pray that God will guide us to speak in love, truth, and wisdom—especially in a sensitive social-media age.
- Pray for every reader in Jesus’s family, the church, who finds Lorehaven magazine:
- That Lorehaven magazine encourages every reader’s threefold life purpose: to worship God as creative individuals, to worship God together as families and organized churches, and to worship God as his ambassadors in the world.
- That Lorehaven meets the church’s often-unspoken need for amazing stories—not just in the world (with superhero movies and the like) but by “shopping local” and seeing that Christians create stories with themes and beauties like no one else.
- That readers think first as fans who receive these stories with godly thanksgiving.
- That readers would see past negative associations of God’s people and their stories, and welcome the concept of excellent, fantastical stories by and for the church.
- That readers would embrace these stories, not to reinforce their identities, or for the chief end of entertainment, but for the goal of godly recreation and exploration of God’s truth, beauty, and goodness through stories that reflect Him creatively.
- That pastors, ministry directors, parents, and other leaders whom God has blessed would see the value in Lorehaven and especially the stories we bring to their worlds.
- That any skeptical Christian reader would not see us trying to excuse or justify something evil (Romans 14:16), but would follow our biblical engagement of stories, their purpose, and their benefit to lifelong worship of our creative, heroic God.
- Pray for every novelist our magazine will feature:
- That Lorehaven reviews will do their work justice, being fair and naturally positive.
- That God would use our work to bless their years of sacrificial, creative ministry.
- That God would reward their work with literal wages—allowing them to see the fruit of his creative gifts, and to spend more time creating more stories for his glory.
- That they would be refreshed by this project and feel inspired to create even more.
- That they would rediscover their prime identity as Jesus’s family, who just happen to express their worship through storytelling, and love stories foremost as fans.
- That God would use our work to give these creators a bigger vision of him and his gospel, a love for the church, a desire to serve, ability to grow in excellence, and expand influence so that even more readers can enjoy God through their stories.
- Pray for the health, holiness, family, and creative success of each review team member:1
- Pray the same for each Lorehaven editorial team member:
- Pray for the awesome current writers of this sister site, Speculative Faith:2
- Pray that each reader and team member will live by Jesus’s grace and truth:
- That we will unite around a shared, biblically based doctrinal statement.
- That we will respond with wisdom and love whenever professing Christian authors, or fans, deviate on secondary—or even primary—biblical beliefs.
- That we will know when to overlook offenses and when to draw boundaries.
- That we will pursue total holiness in our personal lives and actions, especially in areas where competing religions attempt to redefine family, sex, marriage, equality, tolerance, political morality, and fairness out from underneath us.
- That in everything we do, every editorial choice, every review, every article, every social-media share, every public event—we love and magnify Jesus.
- In the coming weeks, pray for our upcoming publications:
- For founder Ben Wolf, as he pursues new novels and pro editing, supporting his family.
- For our magazine layout designer, Jane Hammer, and her creative success.
- For the editorial process as we finalize design for issue 1 and future issues.
- For smooth technical work, such as magazine upload, emails, and website changes.
- For natural, enjoyable, fanservant-based growth for our email base and social pages.
- For new writers, new deep magic, and new voices for issue 2—coming this summer!
- Finally, you can pray for any requests readers share in the comments below.
Further up and further in!
- These volunteers get new and free books each month, yet they also donate their time in creating the flash reviews that will help you find only the best novels. ↩
- Many past and current creative voices of Speculative Faith are contributing to Lorehaven, and as of last summer, the Speculative Faith website is part of the Lorehaven web network. ↩